Friday, September 01, 2006

Hero? Do I (or you) want to be one...

Today I was a a seminar by an excellent speaker called Benny Ho. He was talking to teachers (duh its teachers' day) about being a hero in their job (which is heroic cos it is shaping lives and destiny of the future generation). I was just reflecting on the 3 types of hero which he mentioned and which type i am (and which type I would like to be more of) I will use Movie examples of each.

The 3 types:

1. Accidental heros
Blur In, Blur out, somehow becomes a hero
e.g. Forest Gump.

2. Situational Heros
They are of good character and abiltiy, and they respond correctly to crisis in the right way at the right time.
e.g. Batman - parents murdered, then devotes his life to the worthy cause of fighting crime

3. Intentional Heros
They live their life because they know their destiny is to be a hero and they purposely live and act so that this destiny comes true
Closest example i can think of is Superman... His father from Krypton sent him to earth to be its savior (movie review here) and he lives in that destiny and reality.

This is not an ego thing to say ...but you know what... I want to be one... a type 3 intentional one! Hero to atheltes of all kinds, to the next genration and to my future wife and family. I'm not about to start leaping tall buildings in a single bound (but i do work on my vertical leap) but I am determining in my heart that I will make decisions that build good habits and character into me so that those will become part of me forever. In times of trials, type 2 or type 1 situational/chance hero characteristics will come out as well. So uh... i guess i want to have all 3 types but feel that if we work on type 3, type 1 and 2 come kind of... "free" with the package!

Anybody can be a hero! But you must determine and choose to be one despite the training that it takes, and the responsiblity that it entails. BTW i think a really good "test" is when a hero gets an award... Does the Award add value to the hero's "portfolio"? Or does the Hero's recieveing the award add value to the award?