Friday, July 14, 2006

Of couse I have to talk about world cup!

I'm not really a soccer fan. I think soccer players are good athletes and the game is challenging but it doesnt thrill me like many other sports do. Here's why.

1.
LOW scoring cheats my emotions. - come on! 0-0 is NOT an acceptable outcome. In other games low scoring means incompetence. This is not the case. Top level soccer is low scoring as well thats BAD. Take away the offside rule ! Then we will have a real game! I am cheated when i stay up to watch at 3am and it turns out 0-0...

2.
Flopping/Diving - This is ugly. Look at Portugal... Yuck! Even in basketball when you may fall to draw a charge... thats a skill and it shows toughness to stand in front of a large man and let him knock you down. This is differrent in soccer. The attitude is weak. "oh he hurt me (not really), look at poor me (not really), mommy!!!" Untill you get the stretcher on the field, you never really know if its real. I beleive if you get knocked down you get up IMMEDIATELY to show the opponent that you are not affected by whatever kind of rough play they plan to use.

Can you be REALLY sure its real?

3. It celebrates "good bulidups" and "posession of the ball". Uh.. who cares. Do people celebrate "near misses" in basketball, "dropped touchdown passes" in americain football, "number of times within 5m of scoring" in rugby? NO, NO and NO.
Cheer for this drop?

I fully respect soccer players for their atheletic ability and skills... but the game... oh the game... let the athletes show their ability with more goals please!