Monday, June 04, 2007

The false stuff is still out there...

I was recently at a lunch with my dad's friends. As expected, I got asked many fitness related questions. I am sorry to say that we as fitness professionals are, no matter what we may say, not doing a good job of getting word out about what is true and what is not. These are smart, professional people earning good salaries in the finance industry. But expertise doesn't transfer from one industry to another. However, they were open to learning and thats great news! Expertise does not transfer, but a learning attitude does!

Here were the fallacies that came up:

  • Core stability? How do you train it? - Stability exercises not sit-ups
  • Nutrition basics - whoa! a calories is NOT a calorie... the Quality of calories matters alot!
  • Isolations, slow, machine exercises - Oops, those combine the 3 LEAST effective types into one time wasting program!
  • Jogging - dangerous and unproductive
  • Eating more often makes me... LEANER?
Clearing these up person by person is not going to happen. Good thing we have the internet and I have my free newsletter (which is wonderfully well subscribed - thanks to all who signed up!) and my website and blog to post articles on. Maybe one day the old wives tales will be gone!

It took a while to learn that the earth was round. I will be patient!